Facility users are typically trained to operate the instruments and collect their own data. Assisted sessions with both the user and the Facility Scientist are available upon request. See our rate information page for training, assisted, and unassisted use fees. Please note, we are not a drop-off facility.
New users must have a training session with the Facility Scientist to ensure consistent, proper use of the facility and its equipment. Users may not train other users.
Detailed policies and procedures specific to each instrument are supplied before training. Each document outlines room access, session logging and billing, data handling, and Google calendar instructions for that microscope.
After hours access to the facility can be requested by filling out the G05 Access Request Form.
- After a user is trained, they are given access to the Google calendar for that microscope.
- Be considerate when making or changing reservations. The instruments are heavily used, so estimate as closely as possible the time you will actually need and make any cancellations at least 24 hours in advance.
Microscope Reservation Policies
|Microscope reservations can be made no more than 14 days in advance.|
|On the Leica SP8 and Nikon A1R systems, users may reserve a maximum of:
• 10 hours of peak time per week (M-F, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm)
• 5 consecutive hours of peak time
|Users may always book open time in the next 24 hours without this counting against their allotment of time.|
|There are no restrictions on weekend use. This is first come, first served.|
|The Facility Scientist reserves the right to modify or delete any reservations that violate these policies.|
|Repeated no-shows and last minute cancellations will be billed for the time.|
- A web form must be submitted to log each session. The form collects information for billing, as well as biosafety compliance.
- Internal users supply a KFS account # for billing each month. The same account will be charged until the PI or a member of the lab notify the Facility Scientist of a change.
- External users are sent an invoice for monthly usage. An address for invoicing must be provided at the time of service or training.
- Data on facility computers will be deleted as drives become full. We do not archive data for long term storage. It is each user’s responsibility to copy and archive their files. Bring a USB drive and take your data with you after every session.